Elwood 5566

Eddie Kettering – Pen Portrait

Service – 1950’s-1973?

Instrument – bass

Final Rank – Sergeant or Staff Sergeant?

Family – Unknown

Current Location – deceased (FTW)

A ‘Pen Portrait’ is hardly the right title. I don’t remember Eddie very well because he left the band shortly after I joined in 1973. At the time we were stationed in York Barracks, Munster. Eddie was a bass player, possibly a sergeant or staff sergeant at the time, and along with various other older members of the band, was one of those individuals whose service stretched into the past and to places that always sounded exotic, Benghazi was one I remember.

John McAvoy, Eddie Ketteringham, Laurie Payne (Bones)

Although I find it difficult to picture him, when I think back to days when I first joined the band, I can almost hear his voice. Eddie must have left the band before we departed for Cyprus in the Autumn of 1973, which means I must only have known him for a month or so. On this point, a number of older band members seem to have left shortly before our posting to Cyprus and UN service.

Eddie, is second from right

Eddie died in 2011 or perhaps 2010. (FTW)

Creative Commons License
© 努江虎 – 노강호 2012 Creative Commons Licence.
Advertisements

6 Responses

1. John McAvoy said, on May 28, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Eddie was married to Grace, I know they had children but I’m not sure how many and if they were boys or girls

• Brian Blake said, on June 25, 2012 at 10:45 am

Eddie had two children a girl and boy.Eddie meet Grace in Scarborough at a skating rink.Grace was a wonderful person, who passed away in her early thirtys.i knew both grace and Eddie,and would babysit for them.They were both wonderful people.Grace had a heart as BIG as Scarborough.RIP your friend always B.P.M.B

• 努江虎-노강호 said, on July 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I’m certain I met Grace, but maybe I didn’t. I joined the band in 1973. Would she have been alive then? I don’t remember Eddy living-in. Thanks for the visit.

2. 努江虎-노강호 said, on May 29, 2012 at 3:45 am

Thanks, John.

3. Valerie Milligan said, on March 5, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Eddie knew my Dad Harold Acton and signed my wedding certficate as a witness.

4. Karl Ketteringham said, on April 27, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Eddie was my dad and passed away July 15th 2008 He had 3 children all of whom are still alive. If you use Facebook you may be able to find me there.